Design Wall Post

Another late, late design wall Monday posting for me 😉  Be sure to check out Judy’s DWM post to see all the links.

 

I’ve gotten 27 of the 30 prickly pear blocks completed and about half of the string blocks under construction.  I can’t wait to get this top together……it will feel like such an accomplishment!

I also finished the applique on Barbara Brackman’s civil war block 40, Order Number Eleven.

I’ve been hand quilting a small project during my train commute and it’s getting a bit easier, but not much faster 🙁

Stash Report:

  • Fabric in:  6  yards (Backing for a First Saturday top and some fabric on sale, both purchased with a gift certificate from the thoughtful people who work for me.  I HAD to use it, right?)


  • Fabric out: 0 yards
  • YTD Fabric in: 165 yards
  • YTD Fabric out: 86 yards
  • Net Fabric In/(Out): 79 yards accumulated 

Happy Quilting, Cherie

The Wall

Here’s my design wall with more new blocks.

I’m liking the look of the tile blocks together now that I have 6 finished.  The civil war BOW blocks are coming along too.  

If you recall Little Miss Lily Bean came for a visit and look, another quilt picture…….look hard off to the left in the background 😉

She is such an adorable baby, isn’t she?  Below are the recently finished BOW, numbers 34, 38 & 42.

I’ve made progress on my AAQI Priority quilt too.  The large heart is already appliqued down 🙂

I’m leaving for a quilting retreat in Shipshewana on Thursday and have my projects picked out and ready to pack.

I’m looking forward to some power sewing and quilt-y companionship, woo hoo. 

Happy Quilt, Cherie



Progress on AAQI

I finished the civil war block #35, Star of the West, from Barbara Brackman’s BOW.

I hadn’t yet started my AAQI quilt(s) despite asking for them from the quilt guild to show in conjunction with the Quintessential Quilt 2011 show.  I’ve had ideas running loose in my brain and I’ve finally gotten something going.  The larger piece will have applique and big stitch quilting.  The smaller piece is just the left over bits but I might add a piece I made a while ago from left over green bits….if I can find it 😉  Then I’ll add some applique.

Happy Quilting!

Monday, Design Wall Time

I accomplished a few things so my wall has got it going on this week 🙂

I cut out five of the Civil War BOW and cut the freezer paper for one of the applique blocks.  I sewed three of them:

And I finished putting the First Saturday blocks for October together:

And my stitchy fingers managed to finish off another tile block on the train ride into work this morning 🙂  At the Goodwill Clearance center I snagged a kit, probably from the ’70’s, to make a patchwork tote bag out of 3″ squares.  The squares are why I bought it.   I used the brown calico with pink flowers from that kit in this block…..too fun 😉

And last, some of the 2 1/2″ crumb blocks that are piling up as leader/enders.  I really should focus on getting a proper leader/ender project ready although these crumb blocks are fun.

Stash Report — NO CHANGE:

  • Fabric in:  0  yards
  • Fabric out: 0 yards
  • YTD Fabric in: 148.5 yards
  • YTD Fabric out: 49 yards
  • Net Fabric In/(Out): 99.5 yards accumulated  

Happy Quilting, Cherie

More Civil War BOW’s

The most recent civil war blocks from Barbara Brackman’s BOW are technically more difficult (set-in seams & curves) and boy does it show!  I’ve had to remake #32 and will have to remake #33 as well.  Sheesh, you’d think I was a rookie quilter.   

Carolina Lily is number 32 and it wasn’t the set-in seams that got me on the first one.  I cut the pieces following the written instructions versus the templates.  That’s were it went wrong since the diamonds cut following the directions ended up larger than the template.  Had I bothered to check, I wouldn’t have two of these blocks!  Here’s the first one with points perfectly ending in the seam allowance 🙁

And the second one…..much better 🙂

Indiana Puzzle is number 33 also known as Drunkard’s Path.  Not completely sure what went wrong as it appears the blue pieces were cut too small but in any case, sewing the curves didn’t help matters.  The units were stretched and no amount of ironing would get them square again.  

It’s back to the cutting mat for this one.  I’m okay with that because I’m not loving my color combos anyway.