Cat Nap

It’s definitely not spring like weather in St Louis today.  My cat, Casper agrees, staying curled up on the warm bed this morning.  The quilt Casper is on was made by my mom.  We took a class together when she was visiting St Louis and now I have the quilt she made 🙂

I’ve continued making blue/green three patches and, as soon as I cross cut these sewn strip sets, I’ll have the required 414.   Then I’ll start sewing them into nine patches as I want to get the zigzag top together so I’ll be able to show it at the April scrap club meeting.  I’ve also continued leader/ender sewing the red/neutral half square triangles.  I don’t have a current count but it is more than 350 so I’m getting closer to 600 every day.


I was supposed to get this completed in Feb to meet Judy’s 2011 UFO Challenge for February.

What I got done was this:

Again, I’m just going to be happy I’m working on this project again and I’m farther along on Feb’s block than I was on Jan’s block by the end of the respective months.

Last night I finally tried my hand at making folded flowers from these instructions.   Here’s the result so far.  Cute, huh?  I was hoping to make some for the AAQI quilt I have in mind but this one, made using 3 1/2″ & 2 1/2″ squares, is too large.

I’m still plugging away at the RRCB half square triangles with 345 of the 600 now sewn and trimmed.

Happy Quilting, Cherie

Valentine’s Design Wall Monday :)

Happy Valentine’s Day 🙂  My Design wall has more of the same and something new.  I finished another piece of the Vicksburg border applique and block 7 of Barbara Brackman’s civil war BOW.   What’s new are the two plaid squares in the middle.  Check out Kate’s post here to see where I’m headed with them.   Be sure to hop over to Judy’s DWM post.

Here’s block 7 for the civil war BOW.

These are the shirts I’m using for more blocks like the green/blue ones in the middle of my design wall.  I think this quilt will be fun and should go fast.

I’ve continued to cut and sew leader/ender sytle more half square triangles for step 5 of RRCB.  There are now over 200 (each stack is 20) …… less than 400 to go!

I got a couple of other things done this weekend including cutting block 5 of Moon Glow, my UFO 2011 Challenge for Feb.  I probably won’t get it together this month as I’m still working on Jan’s block 4.  I’m hand piecing these as doing them on the machine wasn’t working out very well.  I’m keeping at them and that’s more than I can say for 2003-2010!!  I pieced the binding for the animal quilt too.

Stash Report:

  • Fabric in:  .5 (a couple of Fox tails)
  • Fabric out: .5 (binding for animal quilt)
  • YTD Fabric in:  10
  • YTD Fabric out: 5.5
  • Net Fabric In/(Out): 4.5 accumulated

Monday Design Wall

On my design wall this week are sections of the lap quilt project from Moda found here.  This was the project selected by Teajuana for the scrap club I went to on Saturday and I pulled all the fabric from my strip & square bins with a few cut off actual yardage.

Over on Judy’s DWM post you can check out what other quilter’s have on their walls 🙂  In other sewing news, I got the backing to the animal quilt finished and continued working on the 600 half square triangles for step five of RRCB.

Included in the picture are cut off ends from RRCB step 4 which I sewed together…….maybe they will be the start of my next AAQI Priority Quilt.  I also finished the third block in Barbara Brackman’s Civil War sesquicentennial block-of-the-week (BOW).  I like it 🙂

Stash Report:

  • Fabric in:  5 (Kona Cotton – 2 yds bone for animal quilt & 3 yds for another baby quilt)
  • Fabric out: 5 yds for animal quilt top and backing
  • YTD Fabric in:  9.5
  • YTD Fabric out: 5
  • Net Fabric In/(Out): 4.5

On a Roll

Monday evening I made a decision to use multiple reds for Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll.  I had toyed with the idea of using dark raspberry but I didn’t have enough fabric in my stash that I thought would work.  I looked at using one red fabric as Bonnie did but after looking at several other RRCB quilts in progress (like Jo’s or Pat’s or Wendy’s) decided I liked the more scrappy look of several different reds.  Below is my selection of reds.  Please tell me what you think of them……I started cutting the one in strips but can change any of the others.  The picture is close to the actual colors.

RRCB step 5 is making 600, yes, 600 half square triangles from the reds and neutrals.  I’ve cut 42 so far :-P.

I’ve cut up the thrifted shirts so I’ll have to add 4 1/2 yards IN on my first stash report for 2011……when I post it 😉

Happy Quilting, Cherie