The RSC14 color for February is pink. Surprisingly I didn’t have a lot of strings in the pink container so I pulled some from my 2″ and 2.5″ strips. I noticed right off there is more variability in the values of my pinks than what I used in my blue string blocks. I’ll try making liberated monkey wrench blocks from these and see how they turn out. Maybe I’ll have to make some holding the values relatively similar.
I have pretty eclectic tastes in most things, music genres, foods, books and, of course, fabric. Right now I don’t have a leader/ender project prepped and I can’t not sew for free so I’ve been making crumb blocks. Thing is I see my fabrics in two worlds….olde world (civil war, primitive, reproductions) and new world (brights, novelty, trendy, modern) and they just won’t go into the same blocks. Guess these are destined for two different quilts……
I spent three days at the Threads of Mine quilt retreat in Shipshewana, IN. I traveled there with Darlene and Wanetha from my quilt guild. They were great traveling and quilting companions. We had a wonderful group of quilters around us including Jennifer who got us stretching every 90 minutes
I took along the Topsy Turvy Nine Patch to finish. I started this quilt in a workshop with Judy Laquidara, finished the blocks at the first Shipshewana retreat and then ran into trouble. My pieced borders were longer, significantly longer than the quilt center. I removed the inner border and couldn’t cut another, wider border because I was out of fabric. So the top sat. I finally pulled it out again to figure out a plan and got it finished :) i actually like the inner border of background fabric better because it floats the blocks
At last year’s retreat I was still working on the 2010 Bonnie Hunter mystery, Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll blocks. This year I got the blocks sewn together.
I took along my Civil War BOTW by Barbara Brackman and got the setting blocks sewn. I have three blocks that I’m going to re-do and then I can sew them together. The remaining four blocks that will be in the corners of the borders.
I got to see Jill of Darling Jill Quilts.
Here’s Ruthie, on the left, of Threads of Mine who organizes the Shipshewana retreats.
There was, of course, some shopping time at Yoder’s and Lolly’s. Here’s the additions to my stash, including some cheddars and greens from Jo Morton for the Grandmother’s Choice BOTW. and a 7 yard cut of a Barbara Brackman prints for the Civil War quilt….maybe for the borders and backing.
Stash Report –
- Fabric in: 20.25 yards (Shipshewana purchases)
- Fabric out: 7 yards (TTNP top)
- YTD Fabric in: 138.75 yards
- YTD Fabric out: 73 yards
- Net Fabric In/(Out): 65.75 yards Hmmmm….I need to get RRCB and the civil war tops together!!
Happy Quilting, Cherie
It’s Design Wall Monday. Hop over to Judy’s DWM post to check out all the links
My design wall looks the same as last week so today I’m having design ironing board Monday
These 2 1/2″ crumb blocks keep stacking up as I sew them leader/ender style while sewing on more civil war BOW blocks.
I’m working on the applique star on this one so forgive all the threads.
I’ve also got another nursing cover in the works as well. My daughter selected the fabrics and gave me some modifications to the tutorial which includes using “D” rings rather than Velcro for the straps. Suits me just fine as I don’t enjoy sewing down Velcro. She’s also asked that the length of boning be about 2/3 of the pattern length.
A went with a couple of fellow quilters (hi Darlene & Marilyn) to the Goodwill Clearance center last week. In a surprisingly short amount of time I managed to gather up 18 pounds of goodies :) One of which was a 3,000 piece puzzle!?!?!?! I bought some more sheets for making rugs and these:
Marilyn spied the wonderful gold shirt. One of us, and it obviously wasn’t me, only purchased one item. Of course the one item was a silk shirt is a lovely green color which could just very well be the start of a silk collection for quilting. Delores Keaton entered the most fabulous silk quilt in our Quintessential 2009 quilt show (it was also in the AQS Paducah 2010 quilt show) so I can see the attraction :) All in all we had a great time and we all found something we were happy to bring home.
- Fabric in: 1.5 yards (I’ve cut up one of the GW shirts)
- Fabric out: 0.5 yards (Water Works SAHR top & back)
- YTD Fabric in: 137 yards
- YTD Fabric out: 49 yards
- Net Fabric In/(Out): 88 yards accumulated Now more than half way through the year and I’d better finish a few things FAST and, yes, I know I could stop buying GW shirts but it’s just way too much fun and I am still working on a broader variety of colors.
Happy Quilting, Cherie
Late in the day design wall posting because I forgot to bring in my pictures :( I sewed with the Scrap Club on Saturday and had such a good time. I completed the Zigzag 9 quilt top which is BIG….approx 92 x 102! I didn’t check the size when I started on this pattern. Guess I just assumed it was about twin sized. LOL not!
I’ll have to raid my stash to come up with enough fabric to make a backing for Zigzag since I used scraps for the 9 patches and don’t have any of the background left at all.
I also completed piecing the backing for my Crumb quilt top, which is on my priority list.
The result of this is I have a positive change in my stash report, woo hoo!
- Fabric in: 0 yards
- Fabric out: 14 yards (Zigzag 9 top and crumb quilt backing)
- YTD Fabric in: 126 yards
- YTD Fabric out: 41 yards
- Net Fabric In/(Out): 85 yards accumulated Down from 99