Bonding with Sophie

Last night I got the Steelers quilt loaded.


I had picked up some bottom line poly thread in gold and thought it would work well for this quilt.  I adjusted Sophie’s tension and after about 45 mins got her sewing pretty well.  After a couple of starts, I figured out I need to quilt at a slower speed to avoid having the thread break.   I only quilted the top border and first row as my patience had run out.  I do like the look of the gold thread, though.

Since I was done quilting for the night, I thought how nice it would be to just sew……. so I made another free pieced scrappy star 🙂  These make me happy.


Another August Monday

There are five Mondays in August…that means I should be getting a lot done, right?  I was supposed to be quilting the Steelers quilt on Sophie but instead I made two bindings, turned some crumb blocks into stars, made a couple of pillow cases, started & caught up on the Stay At Home Robin (SAHR) and thought about quilting the Steelers quilt!   Here’s my wall…..check out other design walls on Judy’s DWM post here.


These are the July & August blocks for the SAHR which I made using my Cherrywood grab bag pieces and my 15 mins of play.  FUN!!

These pillow cases are destined for Texas for a couple of cute DGS’s 🙂

Stash Report:

  • Added:  0   that’s right, nothing in 🙂  Cumulative Added:  108.5 yds
  • Used:  3  (2 pillowcases and 2 bindings)     Cumulative Used:  29 yds
  • Net Out/(In):   (79.5 yds)

Have a terrific Monday

Design Wall Time

Check out the design wall links in Judy’s Design Wall Monday post here.  Here’s my wall with my finished (maybe?) crumb quilt top.

I finally trimmed the second purple border from 2 1/2″ which was just too wide and got the crumb borders sewn.  I think it might need something more so I’ll see what a 2 1/2″ border of the orange fabric does…..  I sewed on this quilt leader/ender style while finishing the Steelers top and back.  You’ll just have to take my word on the backing which I pieced using both the black & gold Steelers fabrics because the picture I took this morning was so blurry I just couldn’t subject you to it 😉


I went with a narrow blue border as you can see (it looks like it’s glowing in this pic, hmmmm) and added the yellow corners to the final border.  I don’t really like the black Steelers fabric even though it’s easy enough to work with.  It’s not a true black and therefore looks a bit faded and it has a rubber or coated feel to it.   I was hoping the blue border would provided enough of a break so the true black sashing fabric wouldn’t make the black border fabric look faded.  By the way, I love the sashing fabric…..like the way I fussy cut it so there are whole circles in each strip 🙂

Stash Report:

  • Added:  9  (flower fabric)    Cumulative Added:  108.5 yds
  • Used:  3  (stash fabric in Steelers Quilt)     Cumulative Used:  26 yds
  • Net Out/(In):   (82.5 yds)


Number Twelve

Here is the 12th block of the Asian Surprise First Saturday BOM.

I finished it up last night along with the alternate block:

Carla at Feathered Fibers has posted creative exercises.  She’s encouraged us to do them and post them on our blog.  Here’s the first one:

I’m thinking I need a whole lot more practice!!  So as to not sign off with such a sorry sight, here’s a crumb block I made last night as my leader/ender from the First Sat blocks.