Design Wall Monday

We had a beautiful weekend with a nice break from the heat, we planted some more flowers, hung out on the deck reading and I didn’t spend much time sewing at all.  Here’s my design wall for this wonderful June Monday.

The red strip squares are for a scrap club project and I have all 35 squares sewn.  I need to cut triangles to make these square-in-a-square blocks.  Also on my wall is my 4th tile block which I’ve been sewing on the train (note to self, get the rest of the swag border applique blocks prepared to sew them on the train).

Check out Judy’s DWM post here.  You’ll see loads of other projects that are sure to make you droll 😉

The only sewing this weekend was on the ribbon for the quilt show.  I big stitch quilted the background and started working on the flower for the center.  I basted the edges so I can cover the cd easily.  I’m not exactly sure how to attach the flower once it’s done.  Perhaps just tack each petal towards the ends and then add the covered button to the middle and anchor it in the middle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Stash Report:

  • Fabric in:  0 yards (Whew!!)
  • Fabric out: 0 yards 🙁
  • YTD Fabric in: 126 yards
  • YTD Fabric out: 27 yards
  • Net Fabric In/(Out): 99 yards accumulated

June Design Wall #1

After returning from my trip, it’s been very quiet in the sewing room.  The mother/daughter quilt is on my design wall and that’s only because I just received it back from my mother recently!  I could have straighten it, couldn’t I have?  Oh, well.


I made the bottom row, sent it to my mother with scraps of some of the fabrics I used.  My mom added the top row and the sashing.  She used Kona black for the sashing which I like 🙂  I LOVE the blocks my mom added.  LOVE. THEM.

The Alzheimer’s Art Quilt Initiative monthly quilt auction of AAQI Priority Quilts is underway, ending on Friday.  Check them out here.   Here’s my favorite one this time:

A View of the Netherlands by Vicki Craig

For the 3rd year in a row I participated in the annual spring rite of  the “Sisterhood of the Traveling Panties” by sending some new undies to Ami to dye.  This year’s batch is the best ever!!!!


Happy Quilting!!  Cherie


Mon – Design Wall Time

Judy from Patchwork Times sponsors Design Wall Mondays where you can link to lots of other blogs to check out projects other quilters have on their walls……be sure to click the link and check them out 🙂

My wall has the half hexagon quilt I cut a while back.   I’m sewing it via leader/enders right now.  I played with different layouts and ended up liking this one which reminds me of the plastic pop beads for toddlers.  Never ceases to amaze me how much “shrinkage” happens when you sew the pieces together!


I sewed the Pinwheel Party block 11 for both the navy and orange PP quilts.  Only one more block then the sashing, yea!!

My mom agreed to work on a quilt with me.  Actually we’ll be doing two quilts one for her that she will start and one for me that I start.  There aren’t many rules…..we’re just going to add a row with fabric from our stash each time we receive it.    I finally got my first row finished!!  I’ll send it along with some extra fabric from my stash in case my mom wants to use it and I’ll wait to receive my mom’s first row.

I also sewed the borders on the Downy Touch of Comfort quilt so it’s ready to be quilted.

And I paper pieced a couple of the blocks for our guild’s fundraising quilt.  I’m not a paper piecing fan.  The problem lies in the fact that it wastes a lot of fabric so to minimize the waste, I cut my pieces too small and then have trouble getting them to cover the area they are supposed to cover.   The kits put together by the quilt committee are excellent, the pieces are plenty big and I had no trouble.  I used the tip from Bonnie Hunter (at Quiltville) to put a dab of washable glue stick for the first piece to keep it in place when you turn the whole thing fabric side down to sew.  Worked like a charm…thanks Bonnie!

Stash Report

  • Added:  0      Cumulative Added:  97 yds
  • Used:  1  (for the mini 9-patch)       Cumulative Used:  16 yds
  • Net Out/(In):   (81 yds)   Not much change but I’m getting close to several finishes so watch out!